Wednesday, November 3, 2010


When I was pregnant with Emmerson I was terrified I would lose her.  After two miscarriages I never thought I would have a baby.  After we heard her heartbeat at 6 weeks my doctor told me my chances of miscarriage were 5%, even with all of the bleeding I was experiencing.  After the first trimester my chances of losing her were 1%.  I'll never forget him telling me that it never is 0%, there is always a chance.  But of course I found comfort in the 99% chance that everything would be fine.  And everything was fine with Emmerson, and with Alton.  That 1% chance became a reality with Harper.  It wasn't something that happened to "other people," it happened to me.  A statistic is just a number until that number has a name...Harper Elizabeth Folgate.

I have decided that instead of placing my hope in the statistics of the world, I need to place my hope in the statistics of the Bible:

~There is a 100% chance we will face trials: 1 Peter 4:12, "...don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you."

~There is a 100% chance God loves me: Ephesians 3:18, "And may you have the power to long, how high, and how deep his love really is."  Jeremiah 31:3,"I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love."

~There is a 100% chance God is in control:  Isiah 14:27, "The Lord Almighty has spoken-who can change his plans?  When his hand moves, who can stop him?"

~There is a 100% chance God is constant: James 1:17b, "...he never changes or casts shifting shadows."

~There is a 100% chance God is good: Luke 18:19b, "Only God is truly good."

~There is a 100% chance God is faithful:  Josh 1:5b, "I will not fail you or abandon you."

~There is a 100% chance God is gracious: Romans 11:6b, "...God's wonderful kindness would not be what it really is-free and undeserved."

~There is a 100% chance God is sovereign: Job 36:22-23a, "Look, God is all-powerful.  Who is a teacher like him?  No one can tell him what to do."

~There is a 100% chance God is close: James 4:8, "Draw close to God, and God will draw close to you."

~There is a 100% chance God is just:  Duet. 32:4, "He is the Rock; his work is perfect.  Everything he does is just and fair."

~There is a 100% chance God will offer his peace:  John 14:27b, "The peace I (Jesus) give isn't like the peace the world gives."

~There is a 100% chance God will offer his comfort: 1 Cor. 3b-4a, "He is the source of every mercy and the God who comforts us.  He comforts us in all our troubles..."

~There is a 100% chance God is trustworthy: Psalm 91:2, "He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I am trusting him."

~There is a 100% chance God will offer his strength: Isiah 40:29b, "...he offers strength to the weak."

~There is a 100% chance God will give us rest: Matt. 11:28, "Come to me (Jesus), all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."

~There is a 100% chance God cares:  1 Peter 5:7, "Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about what happens to you."

~There is a 100% chance God will show compassion:  Isiah 30:18a, "But the Lord still waits for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion."

These are such simple truths about who God is and who he has offered to be to me.  I choose today to put my faith in who He is.

1 comment:

  1. wow jen you continue to amaze me... this post is so wonderful. I am so glad that you are finding comfort in the 100% true, genuine and never ending love of Jesus.... Really I am in awe of your outlook....