Friday, October 8, 2010

My Identity

Last night at GriefShare we talked about not letting your loss define you.  Stillbirth is not my identity.  I'm really struggling with this because I do feel like my loss defines me and stillbirth is my identity.  The group leader reassured me this is okay because my loss is so fresh and new, but once I get "through" my grieving (this is different than getting "over" it...I will never get over it, but I pray that I will get through it.) I cannot let it become my identity.  My identity is in Christ.  I think right now I have multiple identities.  I am a child of God.  I am a grieving mother.  I am a mother of two healthy, energetic children.  I am a wife.  I am a daughter.  I am a sister.  I am a friend.  But right now my loss is in the forefront.  I feel my identity in that the most right now, and I am so glad to know that that's okay for now.  But it cannot be my primary identity forever.  I cannot define me forever.  I has changed me and I will never be the same, but my loss does not define me.  And I cannot use my loss for God's glory if I'm stuck in it.  More than anything I want Harper's life to mean something.  I want to grieve as healthy as I can and focus on using her life for good.  I have to give myself time to grieve, but I refuse to stay stuck in self-pity.  My beautiful baby girl deserves so much more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment